Recipe name:Launch: Charter on Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities in Humanitarian Action
View the Charter HERE
Origin of the recipe
Persons with disabilities are always left behind and the humanitarian response is very complicated because there is no planning to address their needs. In this light, several organisations endorsed the Charter on Inclusion of Person with Disabilities in Humanitarian Action during the UN World Humanitarian Summit in May 2016. This charter urges government representatives as well as leaders of non-governmental organisations and funding bodies to ensure that their future humanitarian actions will be inclusive of people with disabilities.
To further escalate this action, the charter was then launched during the 2016 Humanitarian Partnership Conference in Nairobi Kenya and was endorsed by Humanitarian Practitioners, Academia and the Civil Society including HelpAge International, Christian Aid, Handicap International, CBM, DRC, IAWG, World Vision, University of Nairobi, NONDO and the Committee of Experts for Convention for the Rights of People with Disability.
- One informed and articulate presenter: DR. Samuel Kabue who is a member of the Committee of Experts for Convention for the Rights of People with Disability.
- 100 eager representatives comprised of policy makers (Government officials and Donor agencies), United Nations Agencies in Kenya, Humanitarian Practitioners (INGOs), Academia (Universities and Scholars) and Civil society (Disable Peoples Organizations and Older Persons Organisations)
- Lots of water
Place all the ingredients into the Ndovu room at the Boma Inn Hotel, make sure you have enough photographers and pens and cook evenly for 20 minutes
- An engaged crowd with a better understanding of the Charter on Inclusion of Person with Disabilities in Humanitarian Action
- An embraced Charter that will lead on future engagement on issues affecting people with disabilities.
Many thanks to the following organisations for being part of this symbolic activity.
- HelpAge International
- Handicap International
- World Vision
- University of Nairobi
- Christian Aid
- Committee of Experts for Convention for the Rights of People with Disability.